Frequently Asked Questions
Who is the GEAR UP target Audience?
- GEAR UP Birmingham will follow a cohort of students comprised of current 9th and 10th graders enrolled in Birmingham City Schools during the 2017-2018 school year. GEAR UP Birmingham will continue to provide resources for 9th and 10th grade students until their first year of college.
Which schools qualify for the grant?
- Any Birmingham City high school that houses 9th and 10th grade students during the 2017-2018 school year will be served.
High Schools in Birmingham City Schools
What are the results of school systems of similar magnitude that have participated in GEAR UP?
- GEAR UP has been in existence for 18 years. Research shows a 15% increase in graduation rate and college admission for similar GEAR UP districts. This research grant has third-party External Evaluators that will meet with partners each month to conduct student surveys and evaluate the overall impact of the program. This information will be reported back to Dr. Kisha Tolbert Simmons, who is oversees the GEAR UP program for the Birmingham City Schools.
What do you mean when you say “partners?”
- Partners are outside resources that will provide various services to our current 9th and 10th grade students. Such services include academic enrichment, tutoring, professional development, and college tours. See a list of our partners here.
Will this be a feeder program to the Academies of Birmingham program?
- Yes, the expectation is that each student who participates in GEAR UP will be better prepared to transition into high school and beyond. In addition, students who wish to enroll in one of the premier Academies of Birmingham program based on their career interest will also be prepared. Academies of Birmingham have a range of choices for students such as Hospitality and Tourism, Health and Sciences, Engineering, Business and Finance, and Education.